Thursday, January 22, 2015

Period 4 - Semester Final

Part 1
1. My favorite photo from this Lens slideshow was the last photo, the silhouette of a bird standing atop a deer. I like this photo because not only does it provide the viewer with a sense of mystery is also provides a story. The hazy feel and the rough edges of the surrounding shrubbery and overhanging branches provides a natural and unique frame. As a photographer, I've always had a difficult time with framing and this photo is an embodiment of something I would very much want to emulate. Lastly, I like this photo for it's contrasting fields of depth. More of the woodland can be observed at the middle of the photo. It's very intriguing how a single photo, a two-dimensional medium, can relay two fields of depth.

2. The best photo from the slideshow was the sixth photo, where a 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190D is observed crossing the Hakskeen Pan. Like all great photos, it captures the vastness and beauty of this world. Although the shot only captures a car,  a bare lake led, and the sky the contrasting colors of blue and brown is pleasing to look at. Although I'm sure the car is moving at a high speed, the photograph masterfully utilizes the rule of thirds creating more energy and interest in the composition. Lastly, this photo deserves to be crowned the greatest photo because of the discrete but masterful cropping. The photographer cut out all unnecessary details and the attention of the viewer is focused fully on the moving car.

3. My best work this semester has to be this photo, because I enjoyed working with such a cohesive and awesome group. The group was very patient and obedient to my directions as I was taking the photo. In photography, most subjects rarely listen to the photographer, which is why I liked taking this photo. I also liked this photo, because it captured a range of emotions. Like many photos, I wanted to convey a story and a tone to the viewer. I think that I captured happiness, distress, and confusion very well in this photo; this type of shot reels in the viewer and provides a stronger tension. Lastly, I think this is my best work, because I of the numerous technical edits I made. Before the photo, the ground was riddled with gum, but takes to my skills in Photoshop CS6 I was able to remove them. This photo was taken in September, a month that was known to be relatively poorly lit for the likes of a good photo. I was able to turn that around in Camera Raw and provide viewers with an outstanding light-shadow gradient. Although this is considered my best work, I believe that a better background could have been used. There are many things cluttering the background and it detracts from the overall tone of the photo. In addition, I feel that the photo would have been better if I had contacted my group members earlier and coordinate matching apparel. This would have discerned the subjects from the background by providing a sharp contrast of color.

4. My three rules of composition is as follows: Rule of Depth, Rules of Thirds, and Rule of Perspective.

5.
 
Master of Photography Project Photo Recreation#1
In this photo I am simultaneously utilizing the Rule of Thirds and the Rule of Depth.



























6. Your first rule was to "get close". This rule is a very excellent rule, because this is what needs to happen when you're trying to capture the full extent of a story. Getting close captures the most detail and with the most detail there is a greater story. 

7. Working in a group entails a lot of benefits. For starters since there are five people, there's five times the amount of amazing ideas. I was only able to get these awesome shots because my group members helped me decide on a plethora of options such as background, setting, depth, etc. Next, a group is supportive and helpful. Although some of the photos I took weren't the best, my group members supported me and provided me with invaluable constructive criticism. I'm a better photographer I am now than I was at the beginning of the year thanks to them. Working in a group can also help strengthen communication skills. I'm not the type of person to talk a lot, but because of this class I was able to develop stronger communications skills. Working in a group also refined my understanding of the concept behind photography through discussion. Usually, when I work along I miss a lot of key concepts and points, but my group members were able to help me learn editing photos through saturation, hue, opacity. Lastly, working in a group increased the productivity and performance. There is a broader range of skills that can be applied to each individual photo and sharing ideas play a crucial role in understanding such complicated rules in photography. 

8. Working in a group can be beneficial but there can also be a lot of complications. When working as a collaborative group there is always bound to be conflict, as it is in human nature. There was a great contrast in personal styles which led to a clash of ideals. Unequal participation can also be commonly observed in a group. There's usually a tendency for some group members to sit back and let the others do all the work for them, or there is a case when a single group member hogs all the work for him or herself. Groups also may take more time to complete an objective than an individual. Since there are so many ideas being circulated, group members can be tasked with the meticulous job of choosing an idea. Even more so everyone in a group do things at different speeds. It takes time for the entire group to understand a concept and that can detract valuable time needed in order to complete a task by a certain deadline. lastly, different personalities entail people not being comfortable. Some students are naturally shy and are less inclined to talk to people, as they feel extremely uncomfortable when working with others. 

9. This photo is my favorite photo produced by Karthik Ramesh Period 4.

A little history
10. I studied and reproduce the work of Julia Margaret Cameron. Julia Margaret Cameron was ahead of her time, she purposely avoided perfect resolution in favor of soft focus, carefully directed light, and long exposures that allowed the sitters' slight movement to be registered in her photos.Julia Margaret Cameron was known for her portraits of contemporary celebrities, and for photographs with deep heroic themes. She contributed a new perspective regarding photographs. She showed the photographers of her time that photos can still be beautiful with a luminous, dreamlike soft focus instead of the favored meticulously detailed photos.  

11. Dorothea's Lange most popular photo was called the "Migrant Mother". She was able to get this amazing shot in Nipomo, California during the February/March 1936. She took this photo for the Resettlement Administration

12. The creator/founder of Life Magazine Henry R, Luce. Life Magazine was founded January 4, 1883, but it began publication on November 23, 1936.

13. Robert Capa was responsible with the founding of Magnum Photos. This (phtojournalism) magazine began to start publishing in the year 1947

14. Robert Capa took the photo known as "Falling Soldier" in September 5, 1936. The photographer claimed that the photo was taken at the battle site of Cerro Muriano, but modern research actually proves that it was taken in the town of Espejo, which was about thirty miles away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment